Wednesday, February 22, 2012

What's in a Name?

Hello Beauties!

A marriage brings a lot of changes to a woman's life.. merging of bank accounts, relocating, dividing the chores and Changing Your Name!  In today's modern world the woman doesn't have to take the husband's last name anymore.  The newlyweds can decide to take on the women's last name, hyphenate or even combine the two last names to create a brand new one -- Mr. Buckley and Miss Jones becomes Mr. and Mrs. Bones!

Since the tradition dictates a woman takes on her husband's last name, she will only need a certified copy of the marriage certificate to bring into the various agency.  A man may need to get court documents prepared in addition to the marriage certificate.

A few things to remember:

  • Be sure to order extra certified copies of the marriage certificate
  • Request a new Social Security Card reflecting the name change.  Call the Social Security Administration at (800) 772-1213 to obtain forms and instructions
  • Make an appointment to visit the DMV for a new driver's license.  Ask in advance exactly which documents are needed to make the change
  • Obtain and complete a Passport Amendment/ Validation Application.  Send this form with the proper fees, your current passport and a certified copy of your marriage certificate
  • Order replacement checks, business cards and credit cards
  • Call your employer and/ or school to advise them of your name change.  Request they revise their records
  • Change your name on your car registration, your insurance companies, mortgage dealer, post office, utilities and registrar of voters
  • Finally make the announcement to your family and friends with new stationery that has your new last name printed on them

Are you taking your spouses last name? Are you making your current last name a new middle name? Or are you creating a new last name?

No comments:

Post a Comment